Followers

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Bomb Shelter Soiree

We venture down the stairs into Gary and Carol's bomb shelter. There isn't much light. It is so dim that I am surprised that their pupils are not little pins. But their eyes look unaffected, as does their skin and the rest of their appearance. "Coming back from a Halloween party?" Gary asks us. Olivia and I stare at each other. " Something like that." I say. "At any rate, welcome to our home." Gary says warmly. "This is your home?" Olivia query's. Gary has a half smile now. "It isn't much, but it keeps us safe. And what's better than being safe?" Gary pulls Carol closer. "Am I right, baby?" "Absolutely right." she says gazing into his eyes. He gives her a long kiss, and then releases her. Gary claps his hands. "Now, let's celebrate." "I'll get the champaign." Carol says excitedly. Carol strolls over to a rusty shelving unit. There are pounds of dry food on it. The middle shelve, however has a full champaign bottle with, conveniently, four chamapign glasses beside it. Carol delicately carries the glasses and bottle to us. She hands each of us a glass and gives Gary the bottle. Gary pulls a tablecraft out of his breast pocket. As he fumbles with the instrument, something catches Olivia's eye. She nudges me and points subtly to Carol's hand. There is a green emerald ring on her index finger. Just then we hear a pop followed by Gary shouting "Eureka!" Gary pours a little Champaign in everyone's glass. He raises his glass high in the air. "To the end of a nightmare!" he declares. We all clink our glasses together and take a sip. "Carol, I couldn't help but admire your ring. It's beautiful." Olivia tells her slyly. Carol smiles. "My baby is a huge Wizard of Oz fan. You kids ever see it?" "Oh yeah it's a classic." I tell him, trying to butter him up as much as possible. "Judy Garland. Ray Bolger. What's not to like? But that's not why my baby likes it. Is it?" "Carol shakes her head no." "Go on, tell them why you like it." "Emerald city." Gary laughs to himself. "We saw the picture and you know what she tells me when the gang arrives at Emerald City?" Olivia and I shrug. "She says I want that." "And you went out and got it?" Olivia says. "Well, had to pull a few strings here and there, but I found it." Carol puts out her hand and displays her ring. "Beautiful isn't it?" He asks us. "Breathtaking." Olivia exclaims. "One of a kind. Nothing like it." He says pridefully. "Nothing?" I ask. "Nothing." I pull Olivia to the side. "There it is." I say hopefully. "What are you gonna do? Put on your charm for Carol?" I roll my eyes. "I was thinking you could convince her Emeralds are out of style now." "You really think that would work?" I nod. "She's materialistic, she'll want the new luxury item." "But Wizard of Oz is her favorite movie." I smirk. "Piece of cake. While you are talking to Carol about jewelry, I'll gab with Gary about the movie and make up how it has subtle ties to communism. Once he hears that, he'll want to do whatever he can to distance himself from that ring." Olivia half bends over, as if the weight of what she just heard was all to heavy. She stands back up. "I don't know if that plan is evil or genius." She says. "It just might get the job done. You ready for this?" "Yeah, I think so."

No comments:

Post a Comment