Followers

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mr. Bones

Olivia slowly opens her eyes and stretches her arms into the air. "Good morning." I say to her, softly. "Where am I?" she asks groggily. "Some sort of cave." She glares at me with half open eyes. "I could have figured that one out. How long was I sleeping?" "Long enough for me to find my smokes." The skeleton announces from the entrance. "Baby, is that a talking skeleton?" "Your eyes do not deceive you, my dear. I am indeed a talking skeleton." "And do you have a name?" Olivia asks. "The name is Mr. Bones." He reaches his hand into the bubble without any hassle. Olivia, still waking up, shakes it. "Nice to meet you." She says gingerly. "Mr. Bones? Really? that's your name?" I ask. Mr. Bones snaps back at me. "I don't have a brain, so clever names aren't exactly my thing." Mr. Bones taps his cigarette box. "Now, would anyone like to hear a joke?" He continues. "I would." Olivia shouts, eagerly. "Alright, I just need a light first." Olivia and I glance at each other. "We don't smoke." She says. "No worries, I have an idea." He says while placing a cigarette in his mouth. Mr. Bones leans toward the pink bubble with his cigarette dangling out of his mouth. He presses the cigarette against an electrical current running through the pink bubble. It lights the cigarette much like a car lighter would. "It worked!" He exclaims. A second later his head bursts into flames. "Your skull is on fire." I shout to him. Mr. Bones plants his head in the snow. He pulls his out, and a vile, smokey stench  emerge with him. He chucks the pack of cigarettes to the side. " I think I should hold off on the smokes for now." He says. "I think that's a wise idea." I tell him. "You know, they can kill you." He warns me, pointing his boney finger in my direction. "No." I gasp. He nods. "It's true." "You were going to tell us a joke?" Olivia interrupts. "Oh yeah, this is from a piece of literature I read." Mr. Bones glances back and forth at us. "You guys ready for it?" "Yeah." Olivia says eagerly. "Ok, why did the boy throw the clock out the window?" He smiles as if he told the world's greatest joke. "Because he wanted to see time fly." I tell him. Mr. Bones scratches his skull. "I see you've heard that one before. How about this one? Why did the boy throw butter out the window?" Olivia decides to play along. "Because he was a jerk?" Mr. Bones chuckles. "No, he wanted to see butterfly." Mr. Bones laughs hysterically. We try to laugh along with him, but he knows we are not earnest. "You guys heard that one before?" We both nod. "But how?" He asks. "It's a pretty old joke." I explain. "Figures, the book looked pretty old." "What book was that from?" I ask. "I believe it was called 101 jokes." "Someone left behind a joke book?" Olivia asks. "Oh sure, people leave behind all sorts of treasures." He says candidly. "What kind of treasures.?" I wonder. "All sorts of stuff. Books, pets, jewelry, you name it. You guys wanna see some of it?" "Yes, definitely." I cheer. Mr. Bones springs up. "Then follow me."

No comments:

Post a Comment