Followers

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dig! Dig!

We stand at the foot of the mountain and stare at the top. Or at least the closest thing to the top from our vantage point. I let out a loud whistle. "No kidding." Olivia says to me, still staring at the sky."Might as well start now." I declare. I saunter to the mountain. I place one foot the rock, preparing for the climb. "What are you doing?" Olivia shouts. "Climbing the mountain." "You can't do it like that?" "Why not?" "You need a rope." "Oh yeah." I take my foot off the rock and turn to Olivia. "So where's the rope?" I ask her. " I don't have one. I thought you had it." I scratch my head. "This could be a problem." I get down on my knees and start to dig in the dirt with my bare hands. "What are you doing now?" I stop my digging and look up at her. "The only other option I can think of right now." "I'm guessing we don't have a shovel." "Not unless you brought one." Olivia joins me in digging. "How do you know it's buried on this side of the mountain?" She asks me. "I don't. I don't even know how far down it would be." "So we're just gonna dig a big hole?" I stop my digging momentarily. "It's the best idea I got." I tell her earnestly. I'm sure she does not like the plan one bit. Honestly I don't really either, but as of now, it is all we can think of. So we dig. We dig with out bare hands. The top layer isn't so bad. It's summer time now, so the soil is fresh and soft. It's once we get past that top layer that things become tricky. Rocks and Clay. Fortunately though, that's when we become smarter. Olivia takes off her mask, and we use it to scoop into the Earth. It still takes a bit of effort, but we make it work. We dig as if there was no tomorrow, without any clear indication of when we want to stop. The sun sets and we are still digging. Eventually we hit something sold. Something metal. I brush away the dirt with my hands. There is a circular latch. I undue the latch and this metal door, or whatever you would call it swings open. I gaze down the entrance. There is a later that stretches a few feet into a sub basement. Out of no where, a couple who looks as though they are straight out of the 50's pop directly into my field of vision. Not expecting that, I jump back. "Sorry about that. Didn't mean to frighten you." The man's voice calls out. "Who is that?" Olivia asks me. "The name's Gary." The man shouts out. Olivia and I look down the entrance. "And this is my wife, Carol." He continues. Gary has neatly parted hair. He wears thick glasses and a business suite. Carol is a platinum blonde. She wears high heals, pearls, and a dress. "Say, is the war over?" Gary asks us. "Which one?" I respond. Gary chuckles. "Why they cold war." "Oh yeah, at least last time I checked." I tell him. "Splendid. Would you like to come down and celebrate with us?" Me and Olivia look at each other in confusion. "Yeah, sure." We reply back to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment