Followers

Friday, January 3, 2014

Boxed In

I tear open the package as if it were Christmas morning. Nothing was relished. Inside was empty. No X - Ray Specs. Not even any styrofoam packaging. I couldn't believe it. Could they have made a mistake? I tipped the box and crawled inside. Surely they had to be in there somewhere. As soon as I get inside the box I hear this raspy, grainy, old man voice scream out "Get out." I throw off the box. I look around. Not a soul in sight. I shrug to myself. Perhaps I'm hearing things. I decide to continue my search for the X - Ray specs and climb back in the box. The voice shouts again. " I said get out." I hop out of the box and look behind me. Still no one. Perhaps someone is watching me, but I have X - Ray specs to find. I don't climb in this time though. I merely reach my arm in. The voice cries out a third time. "Are you deaf? I said get out." "Where are you?" "Right in front of you." I back out of the box. "That's more like it." The voice says to me in a more calm manner. "I don't know what is going on but I just want my X - Ray specs" "That's no reason to break into someone's home." " I didn't realize this was your house." "Well, it is, and you really really muddied up the rug." "I'm sorry." I say to the voice somewhat sheepishly. " "That's alright, I'll let you in." I hear a knife cutting into the box. "Come on in." It shouts to me. I start to crawl in through new opening on the side. "No, not like that. You have to climb in through the top and then exit through the side." "These specs better be worth it." I think to my self as I climb in through the top. I get down on my hands and exit the box. As soon as I leave I can feel my body becoming invisible. I'm not sure what I am at this point. If I am just a floating consciousness or what.All I can see is a smokey abyss as I feel myself falling gracefully towards the ground. Eventually a man with a thin grey grey beard and a long Harpo Marx trench coat comes into view. He stands beside a lemonade stand, and appears to be drinking his own product. "Took you long enough." He shouts to me. He puts out his hand. "The name's Henry." I think I shake his hand, but I'm sure. It's hard to tell when you can't see your body. "What can I do for you ?" He asks me. "I'd like my X - Ray Specs." "Oh yeah, lemme see where I put them." Henry walks behind the Lemonade stand. He rummages through some boxes. "Ah, here they are." He holds up the specs and walks over to me. "It's a waste of money if you ask me ,but to each his own." I grab the specs and place them on my invisible face. Henry and his Lemonade stand disappear. Meanwhile I can now see myself. "Incredible." I think to myself. I then take the specs off. Henry appears and I dissapear once more. "See they're no good." Henry says looking directly at me. "No, they're amazing. I mean you disappeared, but I could see myself." " Sounds like reverse glasses to me, but hey if that's your thing." Henry pulls out his pocket watch. "I'm glad we could get that cleared up, but if there is nothing else I can help you with I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." I look around for an exit. Henry smirks and pulls a box out of no where. "Not that way , this way." He then cuts a hole on the side of the box. I walk towards the box and prepare to enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment