Followers

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Safe Place

I have always found crucifixes to be haunting and beautiful. This giant one I am currently staring at is definitely that. Ms. Rosalyn rests her hand on my shoulder. "What do you think, dear?" She asks me while still gazing upon the crucifix. "It's intense." I tell her. "This is a safe place." She reasures me. "But what exactly is it?" "It's a sanctuary." "But what is it?" "I don't know what you mean." I bite my lip. " Is it a church? Is it a library? Is it a school?" Ms Rosalyn smiles. "It's all of the above." "I guess that makes sense, but I never really liked school so it is hard for me to view that as a sanctuary." "Then we won't visit that place." She tells me. I take a deep breath. "You still have questions?" "Yeah, isn't this offensive?" Ms. Rosalyn squints her eyes. "How?" "How could you have a crucifix in the library? I mean won't someone from another religion complain?" "You are looking too much into this." I shake my head. " No I don't think so." Ms. Rosalyn looks me straight in the eye. "It's only there because that is what you are most familiar with." "Is this all in my head?" "In a sense." I stare off into space. Ms. Rosalyn continues. "Like I said ,this is a safe place. Stay as long as you wish." None of this seems to make any sense except for the word "safe." I take a seat at the steps by the alter. I look down at my hand. I'm disappearing. "What's happening?" I ask Ms. Rosalyn in a shakey voice. "Nothing wrong, you're just not ready to stay." "What?" "It's ok dear, you're just not ready yet." She tries to comfort me and I can see her face becoming bluryer and bluryer until... I am gone. I am in a black void. A black void far away from time and any sense of reality I am familiar with. "Hey, you're blocking the T.V.!" A loud and abrasive voice calls out to me. My sight is regained in that moment. I am at Jeff's place standing in front of his T.V. "Are you deaf? Move?" He shouts out to me again. I turn around to see Jeff lounging on the couch eating cheetos. "Are you gonna move or what?" He asks me again. I move to the side, still stunned. " I found her." I tell him. " Found who?" He asks impatiently. "Your grandmother. Why did you bring me back?" " I didn't do shit." " You must have. Why would you do that?" "Would you calm down? Does it look like I have that kind of ability?" "No it does not." "That's right. Now why don't you do yourself a favor and grab a beer and kick back?" "What about your grandmother?" Jeff shrugs. "You found her, right?" "Yeah." "And she looked fine?" "Yeah." "Then all is well." I shake my head. The jerk may be right. She seemed in good spirits. Though I do wish to return. Not so much for her, but rather, myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment