Followers

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Getting out of Trouble

My wrist is handcuffed to a desk. I'm being help captive in the cop's office. There really isn't much here. Just this desk, a bulletin board, some security monitors, a wall clock and a water cooler. He must be bored out of his mind half the time. No wonder he was so eager to capture me. He probably needed some sort of companion or something do to kill an hour. I'm sure he wants to grill me about why I'm here. He has not said anything yet though. He's just be staring at me intensely for... about an hour. I think he's trying to get me to crack, but I really don't think it is going to work. I can be silent for hours , or days if need be. So the ball is in his court. out of nowhere, he pounds his fist on the desk. Bingo, I got to him. "Who sent you here?"  He demands. My eyes dart across the room, looking for something to piece some sort of story together a la The Usual Suspects. I see a McGruff pamphlet pined to the bulletin board. "Mcgruff." I shout.  "Mcgruff?" he asks. "Yep, Mcgruff."  "His name is Mcgruff?" He asks again, not beiliving me. "Well, that's what we call him."   The cop taps his fingers on the desk. "And does this Mcgruff take a bite out of crime?" "Yeah, he's a great guy." The cop leans in.  "Do me a favor and cut the shit, I want to know why you are really here."  "I need information on one of the workers." The cop laughs in my face. "Fuck that, why should I tell you anything?" I take a deep breath. "Because lives may be at steak."  "Alright, you piece of shit. Tell me exactly what you know." I roll my eyes. I don't have time for this power play nonsense. My head feels 1,000 times heavier just from sitting here. I need to empty it out.  I tip my head and lightly shake it as if trying to release water that was stuck in the ear canal.  A jumble of words literally fall out of my ear. CONFUSION, ISOLATION, DESPERATION, CONSOLIDATION, GREY, GREAT, GRACIOUS.  The cop appears dumbfounded as the words form a pile on the floor. Synonyms, antonyms, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, nouns, pro nouns , they are all falling on the floor. Eventually the pile becomes a mound that is higher than the desk. The last word, TIRED, falls out. I take TIRED, and I stretch it out as thin as I possibly can. I make the end into a needle - like point and I use it to pick the lock on my handcuff. The cop still has a look of shock on his face as I walk over to him. I'm still holding TIRED. Except now I use it as a rope, and I tie the cop tight to his chair. I walk back to my seat and look him straight in the eye. "I need information on of your workers." I state yet again. "You won't get away with this." He threatens. "That's fine, I'll deal with the consequences as they arise. But I need this information." He doesn't say anything. I walk over to the file cabinet. "I could do this myself and completely trash your office in the process."  He sighs. "What's the worker's name?" "Jeff." "Jeff what?" I bite my lip. "I actually don't know his last name." "Are you fucking kidding me?" He shouts.  "I can tell you that he is about six feet tall and has red hair." The cop shakes his head. "If he's who I'm thinking of, he's on third floor. But that's all I'm telling you." "That works for me. Thank you for your time." I start to exit the office, and I look back at the cop. "By the way, I was never in Boy Scout's so you should be able to untie yourself fairly easily." And like that, I take off, once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment