Followers

Monday, May 19, 2014

Over and Under the Fence

We descend gracefully on to a grassy field. It is a wild prairie filled with cat tails, dragonflies, crickets, frogs, and long grass that would dwarf the tallest person. We walk up to a barbed wire fence. "He's just on the other side." Olivia tells me. I examine the fence and crack my knuckles. "let's do this." I say as I place one foot in the chain link. "What are you doing?" Olivia asks curiously. "He's on the other side, right?" "Yeah." "well, we gotta climb the fence." "But there is barbed wire." I bite my cheek. "Ok, I'll get to the top and I'll make a clearing somehow." I start to climb. That's the easy part for me. I honestly have no idea how to get past the barbed wire. I reach the top, but before I can come up with a solution , my cape gets caught on the barbed wire and I lose my footing. I fall off the top and hit the ground hard. "Are you ok?" Olivia shouts from the other side of the fence. "Yeah, just a few new rips... and some bruises." "Good, now that I know you are ok.." Olivia finds a small opening at the bottom of the fence and crawls through. I stand in silence. "What?" She asks. "Did you know about that the whole time?" "Yes." "Why didn't you tell me?" "You were the one who was so eager to climb the fence." I search for something to say. "You know I'm right." She tells me. I shrug. "Eh, we both got to the other side." Olivia rolls her eyes. "Turn around." She insists. I turn around and I see a beautiful, pristine pond. In it there is a swan shaped gondola. Two women wearing Victorian - style dresses and holding parasols comfortably relax in the gondola. "It's pretty isn't it?" Olivia says to me. I nod. "We're not staying here though." "We are we going?" "To the forest on the other side." It was a long trek. The pond was more like a lake. It stretched for what felt like miles. Our feet were aching and our legs felt like they could give out at any moment, but we finally made it to the entrance of the forest. I could see long pine trees and a cloud of black smoke. Concerned, I thought I'd speak up about it. "There appears to be smoke coming out." "That's good." She says. "How is that a good thing?" "It means he's here. Ready to go in?" She asks with a playful smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment