Followers

Monday, May 26, 2014

The Minstrel

Into the woods we go. Going against any natural instinct of survival and following the thick black smoke. "What are we doing following the smoke?" I ask as I cough up a lung. "Take it easy." Olivia says patting me on the back. We journey further into the smoke. My eyes water. Eventually there is a clearing, and the smoke disperses..... somewhat. I hear a twig snap. I clench my fists, ready for whoever or whatever is there. Nothing, there is nothing there. This could be the eye of the storm though. I remain vigilant. A bead of sweat rolls off my forehead. Just then I hear a loud stomp. I turn around to see two enormous feet on either side of me. "Olive, is that you?" A loud, booming voice calls out from the atmosphere. "Yep." She calls out. "Who's that you got with you?" "This guy? I told you about him." "Oh yeah, right on. Let me come down to you guys." I watch the massive feet shrink. The giant makes himself smaller and smaller. When he stops shrinking, he is still big for human standards (15 ft.) but at least in the end I can see all of him, rather than his head and upper body being obstructed by trees and clouds. He is a bald man dressed in funny, puffy medieval clothing. He has a guitar strapped to his back, and he smokes a cigarette. He walks over to me. "She's told me all about you. I'm the Minstrel." I shake his hand. "Was the black smoke from you?" I ask. He takes the cigarette out of his mouth. "Shit, did I do that?" "You had him worried." Olivia chimes in. "Oh no. Don't worry. Watch." The Minstrel tosses the cigarette over his shoulder. A raging inferno instantly starts up behind him. My eyes light up. "We have to do something." I shout. "Don't worry, we'll fix it." He says nonchalantly. The minstrel sits down on a tree trunk and gets ready to play. "Now, what can I do for you?" "I want you to fix the fire." I tell him. "We'll fix it." He looks to Olivia. "Is he always this tightly wound?" The Minstrel plays a couple cords. A dark cloud appears above the forest. I hear thunder followed immediately by a down pour. It rains heavily, but as soon as the flames are gone, it stops and there are blue skies once more. The minstrel chuckles. "Now, what can I do for you?" He asks. "Plays us a song, play us a good song that will take us away." Olivia requests. "Alight, let's see what I can do." He plucks just one guitar string, but it causes a huge vibration. Something is changing. He continues to play. Now everything is animated. Literally animated. Everything looks like a neolithic cave painting. Coyotes roam while men and woman carry spears. A fable or tale is beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment