Followers

Monday, May 12, 2014

Sugar Skulls and Dandelions

Here I am, watching the door, waiting for her to come out. I should explain, the door is not attached to anything. You can open it up to another land, but if you close it, you can easily walk around and see nothing but the other side of the door. Think of a Looney Tunes cartoon. Elmer Fudd is chasing Bugs Bunny. A door magically appears. Bugs Bunny steps aside, opens the door, Elmer Fudd rushes through the door, and Bugs Bunny slams the door behind Elmer. That is essentially what I am dealing with here. Except Olivia volunteered to go in. She is a brave soul. Anything could be beyond that door. Like a tiny dandelion for example. I am caught off guard. There appears to be a tiny dandelion growing out of the key hole. Intrigued, I try to pluck it out of the key hole. It won't budge. I try again. Still nothing. It is obviously stuck on something. I pull as hard as I can. I am thrown back as the door swings open. Enormous vines stretch out in every possible direction. They encircle me, and what seems to be a massive beanstalk stretches high into the sky. I pick myself up and dust myself up. I look to the sky. I can not even see the top of the beanstalk. Just birds and clouds. I do, however, hear a WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I squint my eyes. I'm not sure what is. From this distance it just looks like a black speck. The WHEEEEE noise continues. Whatever it is, it is gaining more and more momentum and getting faster and faster. All of the sudden I realize it is Olivia. She is using the vines that surround the beanstalk as a slide. I shuffle around to find something soft for her to land on. Before I have the slightest amount of success, I hear "Get out of the way!" Followed very shortly by her landing on me. Much like in a Looney Tunes cartoon neither one of us is injured, and she picks me up. "That was fun." She says excitedly. I look up at her. She is wearing a black dress with a neon blue trim, and on her face is a plastic Halloween mask. The mask resembles that of a Mexican sugar skull. She even has the red rose in her black hair. "New costume?" I ask her. "Nope." She responds casually. I decide to think nothing of it and go with the flow. "So, is it taken care of?" I ask her. She laughs. "Are you kidding me? We've only just begun." I feel slightly disappointed and defeated. Olivia plucks a giant, dead dandelion off the base of the beanstalk. It is about the size of my head. "Make a wish." She says whimsically. I take a deep breath and I blow. The seeds start to disperse into the air. "Quickly!" She shouts. Olivia jumps up and grabs two seeds. She hands one to me and holds onto the other one. Then, before I know it, we ascend into the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment