Followers

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Lone Vulture

"What are you staring at?" A faraway voice asks as I look down at my stuck feet. "I said what are you staring at?" It asks again. I know it is more that likely just in my mind, but I answer it anyways. "I'm looking down." I say. "You should try looking up." "I don't want to." "But you should try it." I play along and glance up at the sky. There is a lone vulture circling above. I look down again. "Why'd you look down?" It asks. "There's nothing in the sky." I say. "I take particular offense to that. I'm in the sky after all." I crane my neck up, and I squint my eyes. "Are you the vulture?" "Indeed I am." "Aren't there usually more of you?" "More of me?" "I mean vultures. Aren't there usually more at once?" "I suppose." It responds. "Well, where are the others then?" "I haven't the foggiest." "Will they be here?" I ask. "Perhaps." "Do tell me if they stop by." The vulture circles faster. "Is my company not good enough for you?" "It's not that. It's just that I'd like to get this over with." "Get what over with?" It asks, confused. "Aren't you gonna eat us?" "Perhaps, but you'd have to wake up first." Not even taking a second to think about this, I jolt myself awake. The vulture is now at ground level and inching ever closer to me and Olivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment