Followers

Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Elderly Couple

Everything is a clue, and everyone is a suspect. Including this elderly couple in the distance feeding ducks. Yes, they are feeding ducks, and so am I.  They are all the way on the other side of the pond. I don't think they have noticed me yet. They are far too absorbed in their activity of feeding the ducks. I get off my bench to question them. Before I can get any where remotely close to them I step on a branch. It snaps, and like a deer who was caught by a hunter, the woman points her boney fingers in my direction. "Harold, there's someone coming this way." She shouts anxiously. I raise my hands over my head. "I mean no harm."  "Why should we believe you?" Harold asks. Still attempting to run off.  "I want to ask you about Barbara Rosalyn." The couple stops dead in their tracks. "Did you say Barbara Rosalyn?" The elderly woman asks.  "Yes." I reply. The couple turns around. "We haven't heard that name in ages." Says Harold.  "What do you know about her?"  I ask them. The elderly woman laughs to herself. "Enough to fill a warehouse, dear."  Harold chimes in.  "We all went to the same high school."  I look at them straight in the eyes. "This may sound strange, but do you know anything about the Angelic Order of Brotherly Love.?" "That's one of those churches you have to pay to get in, right?" The elderly woman asks. Harold shakes his head no. "Annie, I think you're thinking of Mormonism." "No, Harold I think I'm right." I interrupt them. "Do you know anything about this group? Yes or No?" The both grow silent. "Can't say that I do." Says Harold. "But I wouldn't put it past her to join something like that." "Yes, she was always into the occult come to think of it." "Always?" I ask. "As far back as I can remember at least." Annie states. "What does her family think about this?" Harold takes a deep breath. "They don't much." With sadness in her eyes, Annie continues. "Most of her family wants nothing to do with her." "There is one family member who still loves her." Harold adds. "And who might that be?" "Her grandson, Jeff." She says without any hesitation. "But the problem with Jeff is that he never fully understands, and he's trying to reprogram her." "This is very important. She disappeared. I need to find her." Harold laughs. "What?" I ask. "She can't be found unless she wants to be found."  "But I need to find her."  Harold shrugs. "I don't know what to tell you." "I need to find her so I at least have some piece of mind." "sorry." He tells me. I hang my head. Harold hands me an empty pop can he was drinking out of. I look up at him confused. "When you were a child, you couldn't even crush that can. But you wanted to." "This is hardly the same thing." I tell him. "Don't belittle this. That was something you wanted, but you felt you weren't strong enough." "I thought I was weak." "Were you?" "No, guess I just didn't try." Harold smiles. "You're not weak. Go out there and try. You've got this." I crush the can in the palm of my hand, and like a motivational coach he adds: "You can do anything you put your mind to."

No comments:

Post a Comment