Followers

Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Jack-O-Lantern

A sideways grin, and a winking eye. My Jack - O- Lantern. Perfection at it's best. Something about this tradition of carving pumpkins that never gets old. It rejuvenates my spirits, puts an extra spring into my step, and calms my mind. I have put something into the world, and for that I am a better person. I can rest my tired eyes now. I sink into my couch and cast my weary eyes on my winking Jack - O- Lantern. Currently he's placed above my rabbit ear television that is on the snow channel. Rabbit ears? Snow channel? I almost can't believe my own archaic terminology. I bet there are kids coming up in the world now who have no idea what those vocab words are. They aren't really used that much anymore. I guess it makes sense. What with these flat screen, high def, T.V. sets. I'm a bit of a throwback . But I'm ok with that. It makes me unique. I relax a bit and sink further and further into the couch. I feel my eyelids getting heavier and heavier. Before I know it... I'm there. That wonderful, magical place between wake and sleep. "Wake up, sleepy head." I hear. I scan the living room to see where the voice is coming from. "Over hear." I scan the living room again, no luck. Convinced the voice is nothing more than my imagination, I attempt to sleep. "Don't close your eyes." "who said that?" I respond, groggily. I look up at my pumpkin, not thinking anything of it. It winks at me with it's other eye. I shudder. "Don't be afraid." It reassures me. "You created me after all." "What do you want from me?" I ask it. "Nothin'. Nothin' at all. Just thought we could have some fun." I squint. "What kind of fun?" "Just thought we could go out, get some drinks. It is Halloween after all." "No, I don't feel like it." "C'mon it'll be fun." I sink further into the couch. "I'm too tired." "You just need some excitement. You created me because you wanted something to lift your spirits. Am I right?" I sigh. "Yeah, you're right." "Then let's go." "I don't know isn't it gonna look weird if I carry around a talking pumpkin?" The Jack - O - Lantern sneers. "It's Halloween. Besides what the fuck do you care?" " I don't." "Then get your shoes and let's get out of here." I smile to myself and exit room. "Always something." I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment