Followers

Friday, November 8, 2013

P.E. Revisited

Despite the face that I have been out of high school for years, I have some how found myself back in a P.E. class. It is exactly how I remember it. There are the "built" kids who get way too into the class. There are the wallflowers (that would be me.) They just want to show up for class dressed in uniform, get an easy A, and be the first one's out at dodge ball so they can sit on the bleachers for the rest of the time. However, the overly enthusiastic P.E. teacher will never let them off that easily. Right now I have an ape like instructor shouting at me. "Come back here right now and play the right way." He shouts to me. "What's the right way?" I ask. "Don't be smart." He cautions me. "I thought that's what school was for." "I don't have time for your mouth. Get back here" "No." I insist. "What do you mean no?" He asks. "I did what I was saposed to do and now I'm out." "You need to apply yourself." "I think I did." The teacher clenches his fists. "Randal, get the flail." Randal a jockish, built classmate walks over to wall and breaks open an emergency case containing the medieval weapon with a spiked ball and chain. Randal swings the flail around his head. "What the hell is this?" I ask, startled. " You wont do it the easy way, guess it's gonna be the hard way." The gym teacher says in a very matter of fact way. Randal runs towards me. I jump off the bleachers and head out the exit. The hallway outside the gym is completely dark. As I can hear Randal's footsteps barreling closing, I realize that the darkened hallways are the least of my worries. There are gated fences up everywhere. I am in a maze. I try hallway after hallway after hallway. They all lead to fenced dead ends. The footsteps are now closer than ever. I know I have no choice. I climb a random fence. "Here's hoping there's something better on the other side." With that I hop off the fence in what appears to be a dark abyss.

No comments:

Post a Comment