Followers

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Road Trip

Normally I wouldn't think to hitch hike, but I wanted to change things up a little bit. Plus, I'm currently at a busy intersection and I don't feel like walking anymore. So here I am like a jackass with my thumb out in the air. No one seems to notice or care. All the cars zoom past me. Eventually a bluish, rusty, mini van pulls up along the side of the road. From what I can tell it looks like a mother, about mid thirties, and her little girl. The girl looks like she could be about six or seven. The mother rolls down her window and shouts to me " You gonna come in or you gonna stand there?" I walk over to the mini van and try to pull open the one side door. It's stuck. I yank as hard as I can and the door flies open. "Whoa there superman." The mother says to me. I don't say anything, I just buckle myself into the middle seat. The mother looks at me through the rear view mirror. " That's sweet of you, that you're keeping my daughter company." I glance over at her daughter who is looking out the window. I hadn't even realized that is what I was doing. I knew it seemed odd at the time to open the sliding door instead of taking the front seat, but I went with it as if it was my plan all along and I nodded. The mother smiled, started her car and took off. "So, where are you driving to?" I asked. "Not sure, we just wanted to take a road trip across the country. where are you going?" I shrugged. "I don't know." "That's ok, you'll figure it out." The mother reaches into the glove compartment and pulls out an ice cream cone. It looks fresh, as if there is a secret ice cream making machine in her glove compartment. Everything is still perfectly and professionally intact too. Two nice rounded scoops of blueberry ice cream on top of a pointed waffle cone. "Here sweetie, I completely forgot about this." She says to her daughter while extending her arm with the ice cream. The girl's eyes light up. "Thanks mommy." The daughter grabs the ice cream from her mother's hand. The daughter proceeds to open her side window. I look on at the daughter in awe. Now the daughter sticks the ice cream out the window. "I think she's gonna drop it out the window." I shout. "It's her ice cream, she can do with it whatever she pleases." The mother says to me. Hearing this, the daughter takes her ice cream out of the window and offers it to me. " You want it?" "No, I couldn't take that." "It's ok I just remembered you saying blueberry is one of your favorite, but you can never find it." " Wait how did you know that?" I ask her. " I don't know, I just remember." "But I never told you." "Guess I just know." The girl smiles to herself and continues to look out her window. The mother looks back at me again. "So where did you want to go?" "I don't know, I have a feeling I already went somewhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment