Followers

Friday, August 29, 2014

Caught in a Net

All eyes on us. Watching, waiting. Preparing to attack. They hold tight to their spears while they glare at us and gnash their teeth. Suddenly, the crowd of feral children parts as if it were a well orchestrated dance number. Ralph, their leader, walks up to us. He reaches into the net and pulls the mask off my face. "We said don't come back." He says sternly. "I know,but Washington wanted to see your village." Ralph squints at me. I sigh. "Just put the mask on and see for yourself." Ralph complies and puts the mask on. " I don't see anything." "Maybe tap the forehead?" Ralph follows my instructions. A second later, he lets out a bloodcurdling scream. He throws the mask to the ground. His face is pale white. He looks up at me and then runs in the opposite direction. The other children, not knowing what to do, follow their leader and run away from the invisible enemy. The good news is I avoided being jabbed multiple times by wooden spears. The bad news is that I am still stuck in a net, above the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment