Followers

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Beached

We lay in the sand motionless and soaking wet, viewing the night sky. It is peaceful and quiet. The only noise we can hear is the crackling of a nearby fire. We turn our heads to see an abandoned bonfire. “ You think we should put it out?” I ask. Olivia shakes her head. “No, we might as well stand by the fire and dry off.” We walk to the bonfire. It is much bigger than I thought it was. The flames almost seem to touch the sky. “Where do you think we are?” I ask. “I don’t know.” “Who do you think left this fire?” “I don’t know.” “Why do you think they would leave such a fire?” “ I don’t know. Could you stop asking questions for one minute?” Olivia snaps. “Sorry.” I say shyly. “It’s fine. Let’s just enjoy this right now.” I put my hands out near the flame. I can almost feel the water evaporating off me. Out of no where a loud cricket chirps. Perhaps the loudest chirp I have ever heard. Olivia smiles big and bright. “Crickets.” “ I think that was just one cricket.” I reply. Out of the darkness, emerges the Purple Haired Woman, riding a giant cricket like a cowboy. Or should I say, cowgirl? The Purple Haired Woman dismounts the giant cricket. “I see you found my bonfire.” She says with a grin. “This is your fire?” I ask. “Indeed.” She says. “Don’t you know it’s a bad idea to leave a fire unattended?” “Relax, I was just getting these.” She reaches in her sleeve and pulls out three sticks with marshmallows. She hands us each a stick. Olivia is excited and begins to roast her marshmallow. I , however, am more confused. “Go on.” She says to me. This is not the weirdest thing I have seen by far. So I shake it off and begin to roast my marshmallow. The Purple Haired Woman joins in. “So, did you complete the mission?” She asks us. We both nod. “So what happened?” Olivia chimes in. “Well right after it happened, we were in an old dream Scott had.” The Purple Haired Woman looks directly at me. “Interesting.” “Yeah, it was. Apparently we talked to his guardian angel.” Olivia continues. The Purple Haired woman leans in. “Did you learn anything new?” I bite my lip. “No, not really. I kinda just said exactly what I said in the dream.” I say, sheepishly. The Purple Haired Woman gasps. “That’s a waste, you could have learned so much.” “I know, what’s done is done. But what do we do now?” I ask, impatiently. The Purple Haired Woman snorts. “What?” “Don’t ask me.” She says, trying not to laugh. “ Don’t you have answers?” Olivia asks. “Sure, I’ve got answers, but you guys are on your own.” My mouth hangs open slightly. “Hey, you two. Don’t be so glum. Marshmallows are almost done, and I have gram crackers and chocolate.”

No comments:

Post a Comment