Followers

Monday, July 7, 2014

Strange Fruit

Despite the surrounding chaos , the tree with the exotic fruit appears to be untouched. It is as if by a miracle this one tree is not only surviving but thriving. I mean the soil that it is growing out of is dry and covered in trash. I go to grab the fruit from one of the branches. Olivia slaps my hand. I look at her feeling puzzled and alarmed. "Doesn't this look familiar?" She quips. "No, not in the slightest." "Doesn't it remind you of a certain garden?" I smile slightly and shake my head. "What?" She asks. "I hate to break it to you, but this isn't exactly Eden." I reach for the fruit again. "Why is your first reaction to eat it?" Olivia blurts out.  "Because they look so tasty." I say mesmerized. Olivia shakes me. "Snap out of it." "We don't have to eat it. But what if we plucked one of the branch and cut it open?" I ask. Olivia shrugs. "Sounds fair enough." I take the nearest fruit I can find and pluck it off the branch. I really want to eat it. I know it will be delicious, but I hold back. Olivia snatches it from my hand. It's big. It barely fits in the palm of her hand. She tries to pierce the surface of the fruit with her thumb. The skin is like rubber. It bends, but it does not break. " I don't think these were meant to be eaten." She says, still struggling to break open the strange fruit. " If people can eat coconuts, then we can find a way to eat whatever the hell this is." A glow emits from the inside of the fruit. Olivia throws the fruit to the ground. " I don't think this is food." She says. I look up at the tree. One by one, the fruit start to glow. "No, this is something else."

No comments:

Post a Comment