Followers

Thursday, July 10, 2014

"My Favorite Breakfast"

"My Favorite Breakfast." It was a journal assignment I had to do in the 6th grade. Everyone else was talking about going to get pancakes or something like that. I didn't find that to be particularly interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like pancakes. I like them a lot. But I wanted to jazz up the assignment a bit. So I wrote about how I was abducted by aliens and they took me to Area 51 to get breakfast. Needless to say, it was not exactly what my teacher was expecting. To be fair though, she never said it had to be a true story. Also, who is to say it is not true? I could also argue that if I were to believe my own story that it would become true. At least in my own head it would. Who knows, maybe the aliens are taking us to IHOP. I can dream, can't I?

Olivia breaks my inner monologue. "Where do you think we are right now?" She asks. I stare out the window into infinite space. "Don't have the foggyest." We're in a big, empty room. You'd think we'd be restrained in a glass tube filled with goo, but we're not. We're free to roam around but we choose to look out the windows. "It reminds me of Communion." I say.  "First Communion?" Olivia asks, puzzled. "No, it was this book by this guy who was abducted by aliens." "Huh. Sounds interesting."  "Yeah, it was. He described everything in great detail. Though some wonder if he was in a state of sleep paralysis when it happened."  "What do you think?"  "I don't know, he could have been trying to make a quick buck." I suggest. Olivia shakes her head no. " I mean what do you think of aliens? You think they're real?"  "Of corse I do." That's odd. I never thought twice about aliens. Just seemed a fact to me. They're out there. They have to be. Makes perfect sense to me. "What do you think?" I ask. "I don't know. I guess we'll find out." We continue to stare into space.

No comments:

Post a Comment