Followers

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Old Oakes

Got the assignment today to checkup on an 80 year old woman. Apparently they think she was abducted by a cult, brainwashed and reprogrammed. What they are basing this on, I don't know. But here I am at the Old Oakes Assisted Living. Looks like a semi- secluded mansion from the outside, and I'm sure it will look like Disneyland on the inside.  I knock on the front door. A nurse in her forties answers the door. "May I help you?" She asks. "I am here to see Ms. Rosalyn."  "Friend? Family?"  "Neither." I saw cooly and calmly. "Just a visitor asking questions."  "Are you a detective?"  I glance down at my cape. "I guess you could say that." She sighs. "Where is your badge?"  I could not believe that. I could not let this golden opportunity pass, so I shouted out "Badges, I don't need no stinken badges." Nothing. She stared at me stone faced.  "Look, I'm very busy. Unless you are family, or a friend, or have a badge, I can't let you in to see anybody."  I nodded and she shut the door on me. "Sucker." I thought. What did I care? I had seen enough movies. I know that where this is a will there is a way.  I tip toed to the side of the building. Sure enough, there was a drain pipe.  Without hesitation, I started to climb it. Less than a foot off the ground, the drain pipe rips off the wall and I fall flat on my ass. I make a loud thud. Out of no where, a security guard rushes up to me. I don't feel threatened. He's about as scrawny as me and not carrying any weapon. "Just what in the hell do you think you are doing?"  "Right now I'm dusting myself off."  The security guard gazes at the wrecked drain pipe.  "Where you trying to climb the drain pipe?"  "It would be stupid to say no now."  "Who are you and what are you doing here?" "Relax, I'm the good guy. I'm here to see Ms Rosalyn." " Dressed like that?"  "Yeah, she made me this cape."  The security guard smiles. " I know exactly how that is, my nana still thinks I'm 12." He can't see it, but I'm rolling my eye.  "Can you let me in now?"  The security guard pats me on the back. "Of corse, right this way." We start to walk away. He turns around. "Wait, why were you climbing the drainpipe?"  "One of your nurses wouldn't let me in." "Which one?"  "I don't want to tell on her. She was just doing her job."  He laughs to himself. "Women, you give them a little power and it goes to their heads." Not only was he dumb, but also sexist. However, I needed to get in. So I shut my mouth and followed silently. We entered through the front door. Smiled at our nurse friend as we walked past.  We went up an old creaky elevator. The small kind from the 20's that has a gate to close it. He let me off on the third floor and explained that she was the first room on the right. Her door was wide open. She appeared to be a very teeny woman with curly white hair. She sat on the edge of her beige color bed, looking out her window with her back to the door. I crept into the room. "Ms Rosalyn?"

No comments:

Post a Comment