Followers

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ransacked

Concrete makes for a terrible pillow. Anyone who doubts me should try it out. Though I seriously doubt anyone ever will. Last night I played the part of a good little guard keeping watch over a quiet suburban home. Yes, I did fall asleep. I'm only human. At least I'm pretty sure I am. Anyways the front yard is fine. Everything looks like it is in tact. No one kicked in the front door. As long as I get in the house before Jeff wakes up and make a pot of coffee , no one's the wiser.  I carefully open the front door. Holy shit. Everything, and I mean everything is ransacked. It looks like the whole place was turned upside down. I rush over to the couch. All the cushions are over turned. Then, as if right on cue, I hear Jeff walk out his bedroom and let out a big yawn. I hear Jeff making coffee in the other room. "Good morning Jeff." I shout from the living room. "How did you sleep?"  "Wonderful."  Jeff groggily walks into the living room and sits down beside me, completely unaware that the room is torn apart. He puts his arm around me. " I had my doubts about you, but you're alright." "You sure you wanna celebrate just yet?" I ask.  "Why wouldn't I?"  I point my head in the direction of the surrounding chaos. I see Jeff slowly open his eyes. "What the fuck did you do?" "What the fuck did I do? What the fuck did you do? You were in the house" Jeff shakes his finger at me. "Oh no, don't turn this around. You had one job to do."  "My one job of guarding your grandmother, is like seven jobs."  "I'm sorry if it was a burden to you." Jeff walks off to the kitchen. I attempt to follow. "You stay here and look for clues. I'll get us some coffee." Jeff snaps at me.  I glance at the mess in the living room. I can't help but notice this appears to be the only area of the house like this. "They were looking for something." I shout to Jeff. He comes out of the kitchen with two cups of coffee. "Why do you say that?" I grab the coffee from his hand. "The mess is contained."  "She probably put up a fight." "She probably did, but then why are the drawers open?" Jeff stumbles" I don't know." "What if she knew she was going to be taken? And she came to your house specifically to get something?"  Jeff takes a deep breath. "What could she possibly want from my house?"  "I don't know, what do you do for a living?" Jeff takes a sip of his coffee and smiles. "I'm a computer analyst. Good luck finding something with that." Jeff gets off the couch. I notice a playing card where he was previously sitting. It's different than any playing card I have ever seen. At first glance it looks like a regular face card. But it's a Piper. A piper of clubs. I pick up the card and show it to Jeff. "Have you ever seen a playing card that looks like this?" I ask him. He glances carefully at the card. "No, but maybe it's a tarot card." "I don't think so. I think someone left it for us to find." "Sure, but who?" "I don't know, but it's worth investigating."

No comments:

Post a Comment