Followers

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tea Time!

The shadow turned out to be an old woman with purple, stringy hair and a glassy eye. I forgot what the word is for it, but one of her eyes has no pigment what so ever. I think this is the kind of eye that Poe was talking about in Tell Tale Heart. Currently I am sitting in her living room. Though I don't know if one could really call it a living room. It looks and feels like a dungeon. It's cold, damp, the walls are made of stone, and rats are rampant. She gave me a warm cup of tea and told me to drink up. She's ever so eager to look at my tea leaves and tell my future. I sip my tea. She folds her long, knotted hands, and stares at me with her glassy eye. I finish my tea and set it to the side. "All done?" She asks. I nod. She grasps my tea cup and studies the remnants carefully. "Interesting." She says to herself. "What is it?" I ask.  She leans back and smiles. "What is it?" I ask again. "It's just about your journey." "But what does it say?" " I don't know if I can tell you." "What do you mean you can't tell me? you said you would read my fortune." She laughs to herself. " I said I'd read it, but I didn't say I'd tell you what it said." I clench my fists. She notices this right away. "All it said was that you are right on schedule with your journey." I shake my head. "How wonderfully vague." She takes a deep breath. "You wanted to ask me about a card?" "Yes" I say. "As well as many other things."  "I'm the piper, and that tunnel was for you." "Jeff didn't build the tunnel?" She snorts.  "You can't be serious?" "Alright, if you are the piper than where are you leading me?"
She, the piper, takes a deep breath. "That's a good question." She says. "Oh for the love of -" "Now , now, " She interrupts. "Do you remember how the story ends?" "Yeah, the pied piper leads all the children to their death." "We don't know they died." "He led them off a cliff!"  The piper shakes her head.  "Only in a few versions, besides who is to say they died?" "Conventional wisdom."  She ignores me and continues. "The pied piper takes away the children and they are never ever seen from again." I see a metaphorical  light bulb  above my head. "You took Ms. Rosalyn, didn't you."  "Calm down, I didn't take her." "Why should I believe you?" " Yes, I could have easily taken her and hid her in another realm where no one would ever find her, but I didn't want to do that."  "Why not?" I ask, still not believing her.
"Because I don't get anything out of it, besides I've been trying to reach you for weeks."  I raise my eyebrows. "You have?"  "Yes didn't you receive any of my letters?"  I take the letters out of my back pockets. "You mean these?" The piper places her face in her hands. "Good lord." She takes a deep breath. "Ok let me explain something."  She sticks out her left hand "This is where you are." She wiggles her right hand underneath her left hand. "That is where everyone else is. Not bad." Then she moves her right hand and puts it above her head. "But this is what you have to learn yet." "Ok, so what do I have to do?"  "You need to go back to Jeff's house. There is more to the story, and you know that."  "Do you think he abducted her?" The piper takes a deep breath. "I'll tell you this, he is a computer analyst. He knows codes. Now go and use this knowledge." I stand up and take off into the great unknown once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment