Followers

Friday, December 19, 2014

Candyland

The elevator doors open to a brightly lit lab. So bright that I can not detect my shadow. I guess it is so they can take blood easier, but damn. There are no doctors or technicians in sight. A little odd, but it will make our job slightly easier. We rummage through the drawers. Nothing to be found. Just tubes of blood and medical equipment. "Remind me to sanitize my hands." Olivia says, cringing. "I think you'll be fine." "I don't care. I'm still getting sanitizer." I smile and open a drawer. There on top of the shelf, I see a yellow substance in a petri dish. " Ah ha!" I shout. Olivia walks over to me and stares up at it. "Somehow, I thought it would be more of a challenge to find it." She says. "Eh, I'm not complaining." "Oh no, me either. It's just kind of weird." She assures me. " I know. Guess they didn't expect us to steal it." Olivia chuckles. I grab a chair and stand on it. I can see the label and it reads SAMPLE XK1. "What do you think XK1 means?" I ask. "Who knows? They probably just had to name it something." "So they chose letters and numbers?" "Let's face it, not everyone would name it WEIRDASS THING like we would." She shouts out. I reach for the sample. Olivia stops me. "Wait!" I turn around. "I don't think we should touch it with our hands." She warns. Olivia opens a drawer and finds a box of latex gloves. She hands me a pair and I slip them on. "One more thing." She tells me. "What is it?" I ask. "Hold it away from you." I carefully grab the sample and step off the chair. I walk slowly to the elevator. "This is gonna take forever." I say. "That's ok. We just have to get out of the hospital and then we can figure out how to get rid of it." We walk to the elevator. Right as we're about to hit the up button the doors slide open. We are greeted by a shorter doctor with a lab coat. She is with a ten year old boy and his mother. "May I help you?" She asks in her most intimidating tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment