Followers

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Down the Street

The bus dropped us off about a block away from the factory. Apparently that's as far as it could take us. It's strange. Very strange. Usually one would want the workers to get to and from work quickly and easily. But I guess when you think about it they aren't really human anymore so they would probably want to keep this factory as secret as possible. We've been told the factory is only a few blocks away. A few city blocks. As we walk we see less and less green grass and more more mud and garbage. Usually, but not always, a sign of a rougher neighborhood. I am not afraid though. "Must really want to keep this place secret." I tell Olivia. "What do you mean?" "Well, there's no bus stop to the factory." "That doesn't mean they're trying to be secretive." "Oh no?" I say, confused. "No, they're most likely just cheap. I mean they use robotic workers who they don't have to pay." Olivia explains. I nod in agreement. "We did see them marching out in broad daylight. But I don't get it, if we saw them that means that someone else must have at some point." I say. " Who knows? Maybe someone is being payed off?" Olivia suggests. "But I thought they were cheap." Olivia sighs. "I don't know." She looks ahead. "Shall we?" She says, knowing we still have a hike. I look down at the sample. "Could you make a bubble?" I ask. "Sure, I guess." Olivia cuffs her hands together, and slowly a pink bubble emerges from her palms. "Like this?" She asks. "Bigger. As big as my body." I proclaim. Olivia concentrates and makes the bubble expand. It takes some time, but eventually it is the size of my body. I remove the sample lid and toss the substance onto the pink bubble. Immediately Olivia darts out of the way and throws down her shield, but not before a good amount of the substance spreads over it. "What the hell are you doing?!" She shouts as I glance at the now semi hardened object. Its shape remsembles a saucer with a slight curve. The center is still wet. I take a stick off the ground and poke the center of the saucer. The substance attaches itself to the stick. I quickly pull my hand away before it attacks me. Before I know it, the substance hardens creating a handle. "Did you make a shield?" Olivia asks. I grab the handle and hold the shield in front of me. It is bright yellow and round. "How did you think to do that?" She wonders. I smile. "The substance takes on whatever form it attaches itself to. We just have to use it to our advantage."

No comments:

Post a Comment