Followers

Friday, December 12, 2014

The Officer Rests

In a way I'm jealous of the officer. His room is spacious and far away from the operating rooms. He can sleep as long as he wants, and he can refuse guests. I wouldn't trade places with him, but I have not known quiet like that. I have not known peace like that. Not in a long time. There is a galaxy full of worries and fears that attach themselves to me. Most of which are not mine. In that case it is hard for me to decipher the real me among the sea of sadness and despair in my periphery. That's enough lamenting for one day. We're in the officer's room, sitting by his bed. I'm surprised they let us stay. Usually, it's only friends or family allowed in. I'm not sure if we would qualify for either category. The officer slowly opens his eyes. "Good morning." Olivia says. The officer rubs his eyes. "Guess I was wrong about you guys." Olivia smiles. "A lot of people are." "I take it you're the good guys then?" He asks. "That's the thing, you'll notice that there isn't a clear line between good and bad and -" Olivia jabs me with her elbow before I can finish. " Yes, we're the good guys." She says, finishing my thought. "Alright, so what exactly are you then?" Olivia and I glance at each other. "Well, we don't want to hurt anybody." She continues. "Yeah, and say if there were a war to break out, we'd probably just want to stay at home and eat Cheetos." I add. The officer squints in confusion. "So, you're like cosmic slackers?" Olivia sighs. "That sounds harsh, but it's probably the closets label we've gotten so far." The door swings open and a small doctor holding a clip board enters. He smiles slightly upon seeing us all. "Oh good, you're all here. I have the lab results"

No comments:

Post a Comment