Followers

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Ajustment

Unfortunately, we were unable to save the officer. The substance spread so quickly that we could not even humor the idea of cutting off his limbs. He stands motionless in the center of the room now. Like a yellow statue. Olivia gazes at the officer. " So that's it?" She says. " I'm afraid so." Jay replies. "Why isn't he moving?" I ask. "He is waiting." "Waiting for what?" Olivia asks. "My command." Jay says, simply. "And you're not gonna give it so him?" I question. Jay crosses his arms. "Normally, I would tell him to get to work, but I don't feel myself at the moment." Olivia grins, knowing that her hearts where the result of his current state. I stare into the officer's unblinking eyes. " I wonder what he's thinking." I muse out loud. "He's most likely adjusting to his current state." "What are you talking about?" Olivia asks. Jay sighs, somewhat annoyed, as if we should automatically know what he is talking about. "His body may be different, but his mind is the same. At least right now." I look deeper into the officer's eyes. " You mean he's still in there?" Jay nods. "For now." "What do mean for now?" Olivia demands. " All his memories are still intact in his mind, but they're trapped in a new body. Once the shock of a new body wears away so will his memories and the officer will be no more." "You're a bastard." Olivia declares. "It's the only way I could assemble the most productive team." Jay explains. "But he's a human being." "Not anymore." I can hear Olivia and Jay bickering, but it's just white noise right now. I focus deeply on the problem and idea hits him. I snap my fingers. "What if we don't let him forget who he is?" "In theory if you were able to get him to keep his memories we might be able to save him. But you don't know a thing about him." I smile. " I can do research." I walk over to Olivia. " Can you stay here and watch Jay? I'm gonna go to the cop car, see if I can find any pictures or anything from his former life."

No comments:

Post a Comment