Followers

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Elevator to the Lab

Luckily for us, the lab was clearly labeled on the hospital elevator. It's all the way in the basement, and the elevator is slower than molasses. That's ok though. It'll give me some time to mentally prepare. "Are you feeling better?" Or answer questions about my well being. I turn to Olivia and nod. "Are you?" She asks again. She sees right through me. I think for a moment and then respond. "When you were a kid, did you ever have hopes, dreams, and wishes?" "Of course I did." She replies. "I did to, but I can't seem to remember them lately." Olivia laughs to herself. "I'm sorry, but why would it matter if you wanted to fly or become Superman?" She asks. "No, I mean the more realistic, tangible ones." I explain. "Oh, those ones." "Yeah, and I know shit happens. Life throws you curve balls." "But?" She says, trying to pull the words out of my mouth. "But, it would be nice if I could remember some of that. Keep that excitement alive." "You don't feel excited?" She asks, worriedly. "Not like that." Olivia wraps her arms around me and gives me a hug. "Maybe you need a vacation." She suggests. "Yeah, away from myself." I quip. The elevator doors open. Olivia presses the close button. "We are making a difference in the world." She tells me. "You think so?" Olivia nods. "Maybe not on a large scale, but we are." I smile slightly. " That feels nice to hear." "Yeah?" She asks. "Yeah." The elevator doors open. "Here we are." Olivia says. I take a deep breath. "Just one foot in front of the other." She assures me. I nod and prepare. "Think of this as us breaking in to Candyland. Think of it as fulfilling a childhood fantasy." She continues. I stand up straight and get ready for the journey into Candyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment