Followers

Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Ringing Phone

Pete took Rita to see a spy movie or a western. I understand they're not exactly the same genre, but they both sounded right for some reason. While he was away he had me and Olivia watch the store. He told us that he doesn't get too many customers so our duties consisted mainly of cleaning. Seeing as how we cleaned the whole shop top to bottom the other day we felt we earned T.V. time. We watched a talk show host give paternity test results on a small, grainy television. Just as the host is about to tell us who the father is, we are interrupted by a briiiiiiiing. Now, Pete gave us specific instructions that under no circumstances should we answer the phone.  I wanted to respected that. I really did, but it was a red rotary phone. It's a classic look. And the phone kept ringing, so I dove for it. I picked up the receiver. In my most professional voice I said "Hello. " There was a brief pause followed by a cold voice. "The jig is up." After that there was a click and nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment