Followers

Monday, March 19, 2018

Shoebox Memories

The shoebox was filled with sepia tones from long, long ago. Every picture had that same stern, poised smile. I examined each serous face. Not because I thought I'd recognize somebody, but because I wanted to see. I wanted to look into their eyes. I wanted to see if they could tell that they were on the cusp of tomorrow. I figured at least two people must have known that something big was about to happen. I picked two kids and one older woman who I felt "knew" things. There was nothing scientific about my choosing. I simply picked three people randomly. Who knows? I could be right. Not that I'd ever find out though. "Fascinating stuff, isn't it?" I say to Olivia. "Sure is. I just love seeing how people dressed back then." "You think someone is looking at us right now?" I ask. Olivia looks around for surveillance cameras. "No, I mean do you think someone is looking at a picture of us?" "It's possible. What with social media and what not." " I mean do you think someone who lives years and years into the future is looking at a picture of us at this moment?" "Oh, that's quite different." "Yeah, what do you think?" Olivia blows a raspberry. "I suppose It's possible." There is a brief pause, then Olivia places all the pictures back in the shoebox. "No more picture time?" I ask. Olivia shakes her head. "I think it's time we got out of the basement."

No comments:

Post a Comment