Followers

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Human Nature?

Olivia attempts to raise her hand to shoot little pink hearts. The farmer notices right away and fires a warning shot into the air. Debri from the ceiling sprinkles on our heads. " I ain't fooling around. Don't you move." She shouts. "We don't mean any harm." Olivia says. "Then what are you doing here?" " We just wanted to know if you had any information about Bernard."  I say as calmly as I can. " Bernard?"  She repeats back with puzzled look. I sigh. "He's  an older man who lives in a lighthouse." "You mean Charles?" She asks. " It's a long story. He thought Bernard was more fitting." Olivia says. The farmer lowers the shotgun slightly. " I guess that makes sense. A name like Charles don't fit a man like that." Olivia and I both chuckle in agreement. The farmer raises her gun again. "So what do you want to know about him?" "We were just curious." I say with a shaky voice. " Curious eh? Don't you know curiosity killed the cat?" Olivia smiles. "Yes, but knowledge brought it back." The farmer shakes her head and lowers her gun completely. " Not a lot of people know the second half of that saying. I like you know that." "Thank you." Olivia replies. The farmer still clutches the shotgun, but it is now positioned to the ground. " I don't know what you want to hear. It's not like a he's sage or anything. Even if he were it wouldn't make a difference." "Why would you say that?" I ask. The farmer rolls her eyes. "What?" I ask, still not getting it. She takes a deep breath. " Shit, even if he had all the answers to he universe, do you really think that would make a difference?" Olivia and I don't respond.  "I'm asking you, would it make a difference?" "I don't know." Olivia says shyly. "Well it wouldn't. You know why?" Olivia and I shake our heads no. " Because even if he told you how to live a happy, healthy, successful,  long life, you wouldn't heed his advice. People don't like to hear good advice." "Maybe we're not as cynical as you." I declare. The farmer smirks. " It ain't a matter of that. It's human nature. We rebel against everything. Even what's "good for us." "We're not like you though." Olivia says. "Shit, I know that. I'd have to be blind not to see that." She says with a biting jab. " Then what is your point?" I ask. " I already told you my point. It's just how people are. You don't have to have a Harvard education to know that." " I think you're wrong." I say defiantly. " That's fine. Suite yourself. But if you really want to know about him, you two should come with me while I go on errands this afternoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment