Followers

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Interview

As I pass by Olivia on my way to the interviewing room she holds up her hand and whispers " I got her."  This is a relief. It should make the process slightly less painful. However, depending on the subject's level of resistance to the hearts, the effects could last anywhere from a couple of days to a few moments. Meaning I can not push my luck with this. No snarky comments. Just go with the flow. "Have a seat." She says in a warm, welcoming voice. I sit on the only place I can. On a narrow, green cot. Pieces of wood jut out. It's hard to imagine Bernard sleeps on this nightly. It's not just the cot either. The whole room feels uncomfortable. It's a small room with no windows. The only light shines from desk lamp. Bernard's desk is literally only a matter of inches from his cot. If I were to stand up, my knees would bang into his desk. It was not easy or fun trying to fit two people into this dark, narrow, stone wall bedroom. But this is his home. Maybe he is just used to it. " Reason for visiting?" The farmer asks while sitting behind the desk with her hands folded. " To seek the unknown." I state. " You could have fooled me." " What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, feeling thrown off. " That's not the impression I got from you." " What impression did you get then?" The farmer leans back as best as she can. " You seem weak and timid. Not the kind of person who would take on a challenge." She says bluntly. "You're wrong." "Ok." She says not believing me. " You are." "Ok." She still doesn't believe me. The farmer opens a drawer and takes something out of it. " Moving on. Your comrade found this. Could you tell me more about it." She opens her hand and reveals the diamond. " It's a diamond." " I know that, but where was it found?" "We found it in the ocean." The farmer looks at me sternly. "What?" I ask. " Diamonds aren't found in the ocean." She tells me. " That's where we found this one." "What was it doing there?" She asks. " I don't know. It was attached to a helmet." The farmer shifts in her seat. " I want you to tell me more about this diamond."  "That's all I know." I insist. The farmer sighs and stares off into space. " Are you ok?" I ask her. " Yeah, just thinking. You can go now." I smile briefly and carefully stand up so as to not knock my knees into the desk. I hear the farmer quickly rummaging through drawers as I begin to turn my back to her. Somehow this does not deter me. As I'm about to exit, she grabs my cape and yanks me back into the room. She leaps over the desk, holds me tight, and sticks a syringe into my arm. Immediately I feel woozy and have to sit down. " What did you do to me?" I ask. " It's for your own good. Trust me." At that moment , I feel an uncontrollable urge to cry. " No, this isn't good." I say in a nervous tone. " What's not." She asks. " I want to cry, but I shouldn't." " Why can't you cry?"  "Because..." I start to explain myself not knowing how to justify my statement. I then take a look around and notice my surroundings have altered. Bars are now in front of me. " Because all the other inmates will beat me." The appearance of the farmer has also altered slightly. She wears a white lab coat and speaks into a tape recorder. "Subject displayed minimal resistance. We will keep a close eye on him. Release date shortly."

No comments:

Post a Comment