Followers

Friday, October 31, 2014

Chat With the Boss

"See something interesting?" A grainy voice calls out to us. I look up to see a medium build boss. He wears a white, short sleeve work shirt with a tie. " Are you reporters?" He asks us. " We're nothing of the sort." I assure him. " You still don't have clearance to be here." He says as he attempts to yank us off the ground. Olivia quickly opens up her palm and fires a couple of hearts into his chest. The boss immediately unhands us. " I'm sorry, but it's just not safe for you to be here." He says warmly. "Where should we go?" Olivia asks. "I'll take you to my office. We can talk." The boss turns and ushers us to follow. I lean to Olivia. " Has that ever worked that well before?" "No, but I'm not complaining." She replies. The boss leads us down the catwalk and to a break room on the ground floor. "Ta da!" He shouts with his arms outstretched in the center of the room. Olivia and I look on in bewilderment. Maybe he is joking. I mean there are tables and a coffee maker. There's even a time clock. "This is your office?" Olivia asks. "Oh yeah. So much better than my dinky old office. Much more space." "Won't everyone be pissed?" I ask.  " I don't see why they would. They don't eat, they don't sleep, so I might as well take full advantage of this space." "Did you just say they don't eat or sleep?" I inquire. " Yeah or pretty much any other body function."  The boss walks over to the coffee maker. " You guys want coffee? I'm gonna make coffee." I rush over to the coffee maker. " How does the work?" I ask, trying to pry deeper. " It's easy. First you fill the pitcher with water then -" "No, I mean how do they survive without food or sleep?" The boss laughs to himself. "Fuck if I know." Olivia chimes in. " We're very confused. People need to sleep and eat."  "But they're not people." He says bluntly. The boss continues to fill the pitcher with water as if that was nothing. "Now, how do you guys want your coffee?"

No comments:

Post a Comment