Followers

Friday, October 10, 2014

Name Game

When we were done witnessing the sunrise, the old man made us eggs. Turns out there is a nearby farm. The farmers stop by a couple of times a week to give him eggs, milk, or pretty much any odds and ends that he can not get himself. The eggs are over easy. There isn't any salt or seasoning. We do have orange juice, but it's tart. This here is the basics. That's alright though. It is nice to have some protein. We sit crossed legged and eat on the hard wooded floor. " So you want to know my name?" The old man asks with a mouthful of breakfast. "Yes. What is it?" Olivia asks. "Not so fast. You're gonna have to guess it." I throw out a random name. "Joe?" The old man scoffs. "I want you to think about it. Really think about it. What do I look like?" Olivia and I turn to each other. "What do you think?" I ask her. "Well, I have a feeling it is something unisex." "Warmer!" The old man shouts out. "So what do you think?" I ask again. "I don't know. Maybe Stacy?" "I am not a Stacy!" He shouts out angrily. " He doesn't look like an Aaron. " I say. "Wait a minuet." Olivia turns to the old man. "Is it only vaguely unisex?" The old man smiles in agreement to her question. Olivia takes off her mask and smiles big and bright. " Your name is Charlie." The old man claps. "Charles actually. Though that name is no longer fitting. I suppose Charlie isn't either." The old man taps his forehead. " You can call me C." I squint my eyes. "So? C-" " No scratch that.  I don't like the sound of that." "What should we call you then?" Olivia questions. "What name pops up when you look at me?"  I shrug. "Bernard?" The old man leans back in his arm chair. " Bernard." He says to himself. " Bernard." He says this time with a slightly different inflection. " Bernard!" He screams at the top of his lungs. "Yes, I like Bernard. Bernard could live at the sea. But not Bernie. Bernie would never live at the sea." He smiles wistfully. "Bernard." He says yet again. This time with an almost french accent. " Yes, from this day forward call me Bernard." I'm glad that was taken care of. Now we have a name to put to this face.

No comments:

Post a Comment