Followers

Saturday, November 4, 2017

After Treats

I woke up bruised and bloody. I hurt everywhere. The pavement took off a layer of skin on my face, but my legs finally were giving me a rest. For that I was thankful. Olivia stood over me. She offered her hand. I took it, and she lifted me off the ground. "Thanks." I say. "For what?" She asks. "Breaking the spell. How'd you think to do that?" Olivia shrugs. "Lucky guess." "Well, it worked. I don't feel great right now, but at least I'm not trapped in an endless cycle." "Amen to that." I take a look around. It's daylight. Our trick or treater friends are gone, there's no Halloween  decorations to be seen, and some how the big pile of candy is also gone. "Where did they go?" I ask. "They left." "I know that, but where did they go?" "I don't know. I also blacked out." I stare at the ground. "There was an enormous pile of candy here." Olivia nods. "There was." "Where did it go?" "I don't know. They took it." "How?" Olivia half smiles. "You're asking questions that I don't know how to answer." I scratch my head. "Did that happen last night?" "I think it did." Olivia says. "Maybe it wasn't here." I say. "But it looks the same." "Indeed it does." I see a man in a bathrobe taking his trash can to the curb. I start to walk to him. "Where are you going?" Olivia asks. "I'm gonna ask that man if he remembers seeing us." "You think that's a good idea? He might think we're crazy." "You're right. But this is all I got right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment