Followers

Friday, November 3, 2017

Spellbound

We didn't want to go on, but we continued anyways going to the same houses over and over in and endless cycle. It was as if they put a spell on us and our legs were not our own. I watched as the mummy and the witch emptied their bags on the pavement. It grew and grew into an impressive pile. The sun set and rose. The weather changed, but we did not. Finally, I glanced at my wristwatch. It read Fri, Nov 3rd. "Guys, I think we stop." I say, weakly. "Are you kidding me? We just started." The witch says. "It's the third of November." I reply. The kids look at me blankly. "So?" "So? Your parents will be worried." Olivia says. The witch and the mummy laugh. "They will." Olivia shouts. The witch and the mummy turn and continue trick or treating. I don't want to move. I want to stop. I want to sleep. But my legs keep going. They won't allow me to rest. "Lean forward." Olivia says. "What?" "Lean forward." She says again. "And as much as you can." I do as she says, not knowing why. The top half of my body practically hits the ground. "Go lower." She says. I bend even lower. My knuckles now scrape against the pavement. I feel a slight sense of embarrassment. This must be the silliest sight. Me, fully bent over, dragging my knuckles across the pavement like an ape. Then I feel nothing but pain. I trip over myself and I hit the ground hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment