Followers

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Fix Him Up

Jim and Pete  were still drinking the bad whisky when we entered. By this time they were both out of their minds, but they were sober enough to see the disheveled agent we brought it. "And what's that?" Pete asks, with an almost childish grin. "It's a man. He fainted outside." I say. "Yeah, well unless he is a paying customer I don't want to see him." Jim says. "Oh, fuck off, Jim." Pete snaps back. Pete pours a shot of whisky. He walks it over to the agent. "No, he doesn't need that." I tell Pete.  "Nonsense. Do that body good it will." "Pete, that's the last thing he needs. Get him water."  Pete rolls his eyes and walks away. "See what I'm talkin' bout? We're supposed to bend over backwards because some nobody fainted outside my store?" Jim sneers. "I'm not a nobody." Jim and Pete both light up. "It talks?" Jim says. "And I'm not an it." Jim walks up to Agent Duncan. "And who would you be then?" "My name is Agent Joseph Duncan." "Agent?" "That's right, an Agent. For the United States Government." Jim looks up at me and Olivia. "Get him the fuck out of here." "What?" I say. "Get him outta here. If he is an agent like he says he is then they'll be more, and I can't have that. I won't have that." "They're already looking for me." "Excuse me?" "I said they're already looking for me. And if it ever gets out that you had a chance to help a friend of the government but you didn't, it won't look good for you." Jim bites his lip. He turns read, trying to find an escape. "He may be right." Olivia says. "Fuck. Fine. We'll fix him up. But then he's outta here."

No comments:

Post a Comment