Followers

Saturday, January 6, 2018

The Nearest Business

"Looks like the nearest business is right there." Jim says, pointing to an old, yellow map. Dust flies off it and hits me in the face. It causes me to cough. Jim recoils. "You got something that's going around?" He asks. "No, not at all." "Then what's the cough?" "He's getting over it." Olivia jumps in. "Well, try and keep your germs to yourself. I can't get sick." "So, what is that business?" Olivia asks, changing the subject. "Pete's Bait Shop." My eyes light up. "So that means there is a lake around here." "Nope." "Maybe a river or pond? Some sort of body of water?" Jim laughs to himself. "Nothing of the sort." "Well, he must do well for himself at least." Olivia suggests. Jim laughs harder. "Are you kidding? His shop is in the middle of the desert. Who is gonna show up?" "Then why is his shop there?" "Who knows? You wanna visit him? I haven't seen him in a while." Olivia and I look at each other. "Is that a yes?" He asks. "We don't have a car? Do you?" I ask. Jim shakes his head. "Don't need one. Follow me." Jim disappears under behind his counter. After a moment, Olivia and I peak over the counter. We see a ladder going down a very deep hole. Then, as if he knew we were watching, he shouts from the bottom of the hole. "Are you coming or not?"

No comments:

Post a Comment