Followers

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Muffled Voices

We had our ears placed against the cold wall for a good while. Right as we were about to give up we heard the smallest voice. "Who is it?" Olivia asks in a whisper. "I don't know. I can't tell, but it sounds like there are other people there." "Well, keep listening."  A few more minutes passed by of us listening to muffled voices. I took my head off the wall. "What if it's Norm?" Olivia shrugged. "It's possible, but we have no way of confirming that, let alone getting to him." The indistinct chatter on the other side of the wall continues, and we scratch our heads as we are unsure of what to do next. Then , suddenly the voices stopped and a door slammed shut. "There goes who ever it was." Olivia says. I sigh. "Now what?"  Our existential dread was interrupted by banging on the other side of the wall. Olivia appeared white as a ghost. "Don't move a muscle. Don't say a word. No one will know we're here." I whisper. "I know you're there." The voice shouts from the other side of the wall. I squint my eyes. "Norm, is that you?" "Yeah it's me. What are you guys doing?" "We don't know. We sorta found ourselves here. Who was with you?" I ask. "Some doctor checking up on me. I don't think he really gives a shit. You know, just checking up because he has to." "He didn't hear us, did he?" Olivia asks. "As far as I know, no." "How can you be sure?" "I'm a rodent. We have better hearing than you guys." "That works for me." I reply. "You guys stay where you are. I'm gonna find a way to lock the door and get to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment