Followers

Monday, August 8, 2016

Rising Sun

I stared out the room's only window and watched as dawn slowly broke. It reminded me of my time with Bernard, the lighthouse worker and how he would enjoy watching sunrises.The main difference between the two would be that Bernard looked on at sunrises with awe and admiration where as Eagle Eyes saw sunrises as something he had to eliminate. A light purple was streaming in. The sun was still no where to be seen, but curiosity was flowing through me. Eagle Eyes glanced at me. He saw me biting my lip. "The sun will be here soon. Don't worry." "Are we really going to shoot it?" I ask. "You bet." "But why?" "Don't ask why." "Then how?" "Do exactly as I do. That's how." Eagle Eyes turns back to the window. "It's cooler today." He says, changing the subject. A few moments pass by. More light purple fills the room. I squint my eyes and see a bit of yellow off in the horizon. "That's it!" I shout excitedly. "Yes, but we need to wait. We'll never hit it from this distance." I wait for few more minutes, trying not to look directly at the rising sun. It is soon so bright that all I can do is stare at my feet. Eagle Eyes yells at me several times to look up but I can't. Water flows down my eyes. I look away one more time. Eagle Eyes yells at me again. This time however, he screams in jubilation. "It's here. It's finally here." I look up to see a bright, yellow face staring back at me. It is reminiscent of the smiley faces from  the 70's except it has teeth. "Now shoot it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment