Followers

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

End of Shift

Winter is on it's way. There is no doubt about that. We stand outside the IHOP and chatter our teeth in anticipation of Rosie's arrival. I tense my muscles, attempting  to keep warm. "How long has it been?" I ask while rubbing my hands together. "About ten minuets." "Can we wait in the warm car for a while?" "I don't know. Do you think she'll be able to find us?" "We can sporadically check for her every few minuets." I tell her. Olivia watches me shaking. " Ok, let's go to the car." We begin to walk to the convertible. Rosie's voice calls out to us. " Where are you going?" She asks. We stop walking to the car and head back to Rosie. " Do you really think I'd tell you to meet me out here if my shift lasted all day?" She asks us. "I guess not, but we weren't sure when you'd be out." Olivia tells her. " I have the early shift. Six to three." " Is that a hard shift?" Olivia asks, sympathetically. "It's my shift, it's always my shift. But that's ok, those younger bitches can't handle it." I am slightly taken aback by Rosie's swearing. She notices the change in my expression. "What? I'm out of there. So I can cuss all I want." She informs me. " Yes, you sure can." I assure her.  " I can also do this.." She takes out a lighter and a pack of cigarettes from her apron pocket. " They want me to be sweet all the time." She says, fumbling to get the cigarette out of the packet. " You are sweet." Olivia tells her.  Rosie lights her cigarette, and takes a long drag. " I may be sweet, but I'm not corporate sweet. Then again I don't know anyone who is. At least not anyone who is real." I try and change the subject. " You said the town was being punished?" " Yeah, we're all being punished." "Even you?" I pry deeper. "Especially me! My hands are not clean." She shouts out. Olivia tries to comfort her. "Why would you say that?" Olivia questions.  "Because I was involved." Rosie throws her cigarette on\to the pavement and stomps it out. " You guys want to dig deeper?" She asks us. "We need to know what happened." Olivia explains. "Then follow me to my house. I have photos."

No comments:

Post a Comment