Followers

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The New Element

When we had enough of the cold we headed inside for hot chocolate. It was Swiss Miss, the instant kind. Many chocolate snobs don't care for this kind. While it most likely will never go down in history as one of the best chocolates in existence, I enjoy it. It reminds me of being ten. Going indoors after a day of sledding. I would reward myself with a little treat, and it was nice because I could do it myself. All I had to do was boil some hot water and pour it in a mug with the pack. It felt good. It gave me a sense of independence. It's not a bad taste either. Especially if you put cold milk or ice cream in it. I'm doing that right now. It'll cool it off and give it a nice, creamy taste. We sit on the couch in the living room, and blow on the beverages. We can still see the steam rising. " Sorry I don't have anywhere to sit in the kitchen." Rosie says to us.  " That's fine." Olivia assures her, while cupping her hot chocolate with both hands. " I suppose you guys want to see the picture I promised you?" We both nod. Rosie scratches her head. " It does exist. I wasn't fibbing. I'm just not sure where it is." She says, downtrodden. "That's fine. We can wait." Olivia tells her. " No, I don't want to do that to either of you. I'm sure you have places to be." " We have absolutely no where to be." Rosie chuckles slightly at my comment. She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a tiny picture. "That's my husband." She says, handing Olivia the photo. Olivia studies the portrait of younger man with brown, shaggy hair. " What happened to him?" Olivia asks. Rosie shrugs. " There is much speculation. I personally think he knew too much." I set my mug down on the floor and sit on the arm of the couch beside Rosie. " What did he know?" "It was my fault. I saw the potentials. I pushed him further." "What was your fault?" I ask her. " You have to understand. He's not a man of science. I am not a woman of science. We didn't know what we were on to." She says, still not answering the question. " Rosie, what didn't you understand? What was happening.?" I ask.  She looks up at me. " They discovered a new element. They didn't want him to know about it." "That doesn't seem like that big a deal. Aren't there elements that have been discovered in the late 90's?" Olivia asks. " All the later elements are combinations of existing elements." Rosie states. "That's not what this is?" I question. "No, this was something otherworldly."

No comments:

Post a Comment