Followers

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Rosie's Flat

Rosie lives by herself in a two flat. She resides on the first floor. Occasionally she'll rent out the second floor to an out of towner. Or a college student. Luckily, we are out of towners and she is opening up her home to us. The only thing she asks in return is for us to spend a little time with her. Seems reasonable, she is helping us out after all. We sit in her living room on a burgundy couch that is falling apart. There are bits of electrical tape here and there holding it together. I sit on one end of the couch, Olivia on the other. Between us is a huge box filled to the top with pictures. There are even more boxes on floor. All of the them filled to the top with photos. Rosie enters the room carrying another box. She plops it on the floor, and then takes the box on the couch and finds a clear space on the floor to place it. Rosie takes a seat between us. " There are some more boxes in the closet, but I think this is a good start for now." "I think so. What box should we start with?" Olivia asks. Rosie leans forward and pulls the closest box toward her. " How about this one?" " Sounds like a plan to me." I say. Rosie attempts to take the first photo off the top of the pile, and then stops herself. " I know what you're thinking." She tells us. Olivia and I look at each other dumbfounded. " You're thinking, why does this old lady, in an age of computers have so many pictures?" Rosie continues. " We weren't thinking that." Olivia insists. " Really?" She says, eyeing both of us. " Really." I assure her. "It's just I like to hold onto things. I can't physically touch it if it's on the computer." She informs us with an almost exasperated tone. " I understand where you are coming from." Olivia says, sympathetically. Rosie takes the photo off the top of the pile. A warm glow comes over her as she holds the picture close to her heart.  "That's me." She says while handing the photograph to Olivia.
Olivia smiles and hands me the picture. It's a younger Rosie. She has Farrah Fawcett hair and stands beside her banana seat bicycle. " Oh look at that. Before I could drive and before I met Henry." She says with a beaming smile. She puts the picture down on the floor. " So many memories. And we're only just getting started. I hope neither of you have anywhere to be." Olivia and I shake our heads no. " Good, because this may take a while."

No comments:

Post a Comment