Followers

Sunday, November 16, 2014

First Snowfall

Rosie bursts into the room with a string of expletives. She's not angry or upset. This is how she expresses herself. "Holy shit! Can you believe this?" She cries out with frosted hair. " Believe what?" Olivia asks. "It's snowing."  She exclaims with a child like whimsy. Olivia and I stare at each other for a moment. " I knew you two would understand. No one else does. Especially the people at the restaurant. They bitch and moan at the slightest snowflake. They're babies."  "The first snowfall is beautiful." Olivia tells her. " It sure is. So let's go." "Go where?" I ask. " Outside." Rosie says. "Now?" "It's snowing isn't it? What better time to look at the snow then now? In a couple of weeks we can complain, but now... this is magic."

Indeed the first snowfall is magic. We watch in silence as the snow blankets naked tree branches, rooftops, and street lights. The cold does not bother us at this point. We are too enthralled. "It's amazing. I always forget what winter looks like." She says while still admiring the falling snow.  "What do you mean?" Olivia asks. "It's like when I'm in the middle of summer , it's hard to remember what winter looks and feels like. I do the same with winter. It's like I can't wrap my head around the extreme opposite."  " But then it comes back." Olivia says with smile. " Then it comes back." Rosie says in agreement. We stand in silence once more and watch as the seasons change before our eyes. My bright red cape flaps against the white backdrop and I feel very much like a cardinal in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment