Followers

Monday, November 10, 2014

The Mapleville Factory

Our voices echo in the Mapleville factory. It stretches on and on for miles and miles. Not a soul can be found, and no machines are in sight. It is just an empty factory. So empty that I can see all the way to the end of it. " I hate to say it, but he was right." I tell Olivia. My voice bouncing off the walls. "There definitely isn't anything to see here." She replies. "Nope, though I wouldn't call this a ghost town." "True, but the town is hardly thriving."  She's right. While there are businesses here, it seems like they are all struggling for air. Nothing is kept up to date. There are letters missing from signs. Not many people are walking around. There is no care put into these things, like everyone gave up years ago. Maybe our gas station friend was looking at Mapleville through kind of adolescent eye. Having the attitude of  "There is nothing here for me. I better get out while I'm young." "This is hardly a unique situation." Olivia says, snapping me out of my head. "What do you mean?" I ask. "This happens all the time. A town is basically surviving off of a factory or warehouse, and then someone buys them off. Take all their workers and industry. It is fine for short term, but eventually the town goes to ruins." I take a moment to process the information. "What about what the boss said? That they don't sleep or eat?" I ask. " He was probably exaggerating." "What about the workers? They were all yellow and had a weird shape." Olivia takes a deep breath. " That I don't know." "A ha!" I shout. " But it could have been adverse effects from years of work in the factory."  I look down. " That's something we should investigate."  "Maybe. I don't think we're going to find any clues here though. There's an IHOP down the street. I think we should get something to eat." "But we could find a clue." I insist. Olivia rests her hand on my shoulder. " Let's get something to eat, and then if you want, we can come back after." I nod in agreement and we head towards the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment