Followers

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

"Keep Digging"

If I had to be locked away anywhere for an indefinite period of time , it might as well be this break room. Sure there are no windows, and it is much warmer than I would like, but it has coffee, vending machines, and ample space. I snatch a Snickers bar out of the vending machine. Olivia stares at me while I unwrap the candy bar and take a huge bite. "What?" I ask with a mouthful of Snickers. "How could you eat at a time like this?" I take another big bite. " Let me ask you a question, do you think we're in any danger right now?" "No." Olivia replies. " And we don't have anywhere to be right?" " I don't believe so." "Then let's just hang out for a while." Olivia sighs and walks over to the tables. "He said to keep digging." She says. "That he did, what do you think it could mean?" Olivia shakes her head. " I would assume it would have to do with the origin of the workers." I open a cabinet by the sink. "One thing is certain, I need more coffee." "More coffee?" Olivia says in disbelief. " Yeah, it helps me think faster." " I don't know if that is true, but knock yourself out." I pull the coffee can out of the cabinet. " You want me to make you some?" I ask. "Sure, but not so strong this time."  I take the lid off the coffee can. I see the corner of a postcard on the top. "What if when he told us to keep digging, he meant it literally?" I shout out to Olivia. " What are you talking about?" She asks. I remove the postcard from the coffee can and hold it in the air. Olivia walks over to me and takes the postcard out of my hand. She examines it closely. " It looks like a nearby town." She tells me. " Maybe that's where we should go?" I suggest. " I would imagine. The only problem is we're still stuck in the break room." A brilliant idea comes to my mind. I dump the contents of the coffee on to the counter. I rummage through the mound of coffee grinds to find a tiny silver key. I hold up the key and grin. " I think we're free to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment