Followers

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Standoff

We are in the middle of a standoff. Neither side is willing to back down. The officer's head begins to nod as we enter hour five of our showdown. He catches himself before he falls asleep though. "Getting sleepy, officer." Olivia taunts. "It was a test." He says. "Sure." Olivia replies, unbelieving. "It was, but it doesn't matter because I know you could only have so much energy left at this point." "Way ahead of you, officer." I say as I pour a cup of coffee. The officer eyes me handing Olivia the coffee mug. " I see you have it all figured out." He says to me. "You bet I do." I reply. "But what you gonna do when she has to use the washroom?" He questions. "You'll be long gone before that could be considered a problem." Olivia says, confidently. The officer stands. " Ok, looks like I have to take this up a notch." The officer walks into the living room. He turns the T.V. up as loud as it can go. We hear a man screaming at us to buy a car. "What are you doing?" I shout. The officer casually strolls back into sight. "Nothing, just breaking her concentration." I notice our bubble is flickering. "Olivia, don't listen to the T.V. Put it out of your mind somehow." "Can you also put this out of your mind?" The officer asks while knocking loudly on the doorway. "Stop it." I demand. "Just doing my job." He informs me. The officer sees that the bubble has stopped flickering and is becoming less faint. He takes off his police radio, turns it up, and sets it on the floor by the bubble. The bubble begins to flicker once more. " You have to ignore it somehow." I tell Olivia. "Ignore this." The officer says as he stomps his feet, knocks on the doorway, and sings loudly and out of key. Olivia collapses, taking our pink bubble defense with her. "It's too much going on." She cries out. The officer calmly grabs his radio and announces "Game over."

No comments:

Post a Comment