Followers

Friday, March 27, 2015

Growth Experiment



I grip the edge of the artist's desk tight and dangle in the air. I've been hanging for a few minutes now. It feels reminiscent of gym class. "Just do one pull up." The gym teacher would shout. " I can't! I can't!" I'd cry, kicking my legs, trying my best. No, I am not working on upper body strength. I'm trying to grow taller. We thought if we hang long enough it might stretch our bodies. I understand this most likely won't work, but the animator is fast asleep on the couch. So , right now we are left to our own devices. "Hey, my arms are getting tired." I shout to Olivia. She lies down, carefully pulling me up. Once I am standing, she closely examines me. "Maybe an inch taller." She says. "That's it?!" "I'm afraid so." "What do we do now?" I ask. "I don't have any more ideas." "I don't want to be stuck like this forever." I say, forlorn. Olivia rests her hand on my shoulder. "It won't be bad. Think of all the fun we could have. Like riding a butterfly." Olivia grabs my hand. "You're right." I tell her. " I know I am." Still holding my hand , Olivia runs up the desk, towards the open window. "Where are we going?" I ask. "Out the window." She replies, gleefully. Before I can argue, before I can respond , she jumps. We're out of the window, and we're free falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment