Followers

Friday, February 17, 2017

Jacob

I felt the warmth from the fireplace as I stared at the flames. "Are you from around here?" Jacob asks. "No." "Might I ask where you are from?" "I don't think you've heard of it." "Nonsense. I'm a world traveler." "Ok. Well, originally I'm from a suburb of Chicago." I say. Jacob leans in. "Chicago?" "Yeah, that's it." Jacob leans back. "I've never heard of Chicago and I've been to every small town from Mudd Town to RiverBank." "Where exactly are you from?" I ask. "It's a swell town. Not very large but I think you'd like it, and I'm sure you'd be able to find a room because most my kin would be gone." "Where do they go?" "Warmer places. My kind don't care for the winter." "Don't grasshoppers hybernate?" I ask. Jacob looks at me funny. "You mean like sleeping all the time?" "I suppose you could call it that." Jacob chuckles. "There are some lazy folks, but I have a feeling you don't want to talk about the sleeping habits of creatures." "I don't mind." I say. "Tell me, what brings you to Hilda' s Inn?" Jacob asks, changing the subject. "We were seeking refuge." "From what?" "There was a war." "Really?" "Yes, a bomb went off. Many people died." "Huh. I'll be damned." "You didn't know?" I say, amazed. "I surely did not." There is a moment of silence. "How long are you planning on seeking refuge here?" He asks. "I don't know know. I guess until it's safe." "Hilda' s place is wonderful. There many good first editions to read, but as great as this place is I would be remissed if I didn't suggest you visiting my home town. We have art and museums. We have the finest dining. We have everything you could possibly want." "But is it safe for me to leave?" "I assure you it is. I just came from the outside, and I didn't have the slightest problem." I think for a moment. "And like I said this is the best time to go. No crowds." I don't respond. I'm still worried. "I can see you are on the fence. I suggest you talk to Hilda about it." "She's been ther?" "Dozens of times. She loves it." I take a deep breath. "Then maybe thats what I'll do."

No comments:

Post a Comment