Followers

Monday, February 27, 2017

Waiting For a Taxi

"I'm surprised you're taken aback by all this." Olivia says. "I'm not taken aback. It's just, really, a taxi? Out here?" "It does seem a little far fetched. Perhaps she was joking." "Perhaps."  "At any rate I don't think it will do any harm hailing a taxi for a minute or so." "I suppose not. "I say. I stand next to Olivia and hail as best as I can. I feel foolish. There are absolutely no taxis in sight. I know I'm wasting my time. Then I feel foolish for feeling so foolish, and thinking such things. A taxi may never come, but I wave my arms as best as I can. We did this for a minuet. Nothing showed up. We decided to be on our way as we laughed at ourselves for being so silly. We picked a random direction and started walking. We figured that eventually we would bump into a sign indicating where Hoppersville is.  It didn't take long before a giant, black beetle swooped out of the sky and landed in front of us. Not knowing much about beetles, we were terrified. We stood, frozen, unsure if it would attack. It appeared to be studying us. Finally, after what felt like a lifetime, it spoke. "Come on. I ain't got all day." "Excuse me?" I say. "You heard me. You think you're the only stop I' v got?"  "You're the taxi?" Olivia asks. "What? Were you expecting a Lady Bug?" Olivia and I look at each other. "We don't know what we were expecting." I say. "You two are not from around here, are you?" "No, we're not." Olivia replies. "Whatever.  Makes no difference to me. Hop on." Olivia and I comply. We start to climb onto his back. "No, not my back! That's where my wings are! Behind my head." We take a seat behind his head. There isn't much space there, but at least there are groves in the shell to hold on. "Where to?" He asks. "Hoppersville" Olivia says. With that our taxi flies us off into the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment