Followers

Monday, September 22, 2014

Boomaranging

Things come to surface when you least suspect it. Perhaps that is how it is supposed to work.  A few months back I found myself alone, in distress, and on a long boat. I wrote myself a letter of encouragement, basically saying to keep moving forward and not stop.  I placed it in a bottle and threw it overboard. The idea was that it would one day find it's way back to me. I don't think I full -heartedly believed that it would or even could come back to me. However, the end of September rolls around and I find myself in the pristine waters of the .... Atlantic Ocean? It's hard to tell when you're in the middle of the sea. They all tend to look alike after a while.  Anyways, so I'm in this large body of water. I have my boat parked. I'm minding my own business, not thinking of anything at all. What should I see out of the corner of my eye, but a glass bottle partly submerged. Curious, I  grab the net.  I'm careful when plucking it out of the water. Especially because it appears to have some sort of weight to it. I see the glass bottle on top, but that's not all that's in there. I can't tell what the rest is because it's covered in sea weed. That's ok, I'll figure out what the rest is later. I carefully take the message out of the bottle.  By this point it is probably very fragile. To my surprise the message stayed dry and intact. The ink did not run. I glace over the message. Sure enough, it's mine. It has my atrocious hand writing and stick figures in the margins. I jump for joy at this crazy coincidence. My loud celebration wakes up Olivia. She groggily emerges from the cabin. "What's going on?" She says , rubbing her eyes. "I found a message I sent myself." "How do you know it was from you?" I show her the message. " Oh yeah, that's definitely you." She confirms. "Isn't this great?" Olivia's eyes move to the net. " Yeah, but what else did you catch?" She asks.  "Just some sea weed." " It looks like more than that."  "You can look if you want."  Olivia rummages through the net. Her  face winces as her arms graze the slimmy sea weed.  Then, suddenly, her eyes light up. "Baby, look what I found." She says jubilantly. She pulls out her plastic sugar skull mask. "I thought I had lost you forever." She says directly to the mask. " You know, I thought you looked different." I tell her. "Didn't you not notice this was missing?" "Evidently not." Olivia rolls her eyes. "What about when I put on the third eye mask? Didn't you wonder how I could fit one mask over the other?" She asks. " Now that you mention it , that did seem a little odd." Olivia shakes her head and puts on the mask. "I'm just glad it's back." "Me too. When do you think you lost it?" " Probably the UFO crash." I'm in complete amazement. I guess things do come back to you when then are supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment