Followers

Friday, September 12, 2014

Sandcastle

Build the walls. Build them up. Make them bigger. Make them stronger. Yes, this shall be the finest sandcastle that any have the privilege of laying eyes on. It is missing one thing though. I draw a circle around the sandcastle with my index finger. Now to fill my moat with water. I rush to the water and cup my cup my hands. I quickly run back to my creation. Most of the water spills along the way. I am, however, able to make a small area of the moat damp with what remains in my hands. Not much though. One could hardly call it a moat at this point, but I'm not about to rush back and forth several times to fill it. Still, it needs something extra. I snap my fingers. I got it! I pick up a nearby twig and place it in the tower. It represents the flag of Castle Sparky Boy. I smile and admire my creation. I turn around and see Olivia staring out into the endless ocean. "Hey Olive! It's done." She turns and walks to the castle. "Baby, that looks great." She says with warm smile. "Thanks, you want to help me destroy it?" "What? Why? Aren't you proud of it?" She asks befuddled. "Of course I am, but that's what you do." "It is?" "Yeah, now do you want to be the monster that destroys the town?" "I'm the monster?" Olivia asks, somewhat offended. "If it makes you feel better you can be the 50 foot woman." Olivia shakes her head. "Sure, what do I do?" "That's easy. You just kick and stomp the castle." Olivia raises her foot and prepares to kick the outer wall. "No, not yet." I say in a panic. I get behind the castle. "First I have to say "Don't destroy my town."" Olivia raises her foot again. "No, not yet." "I thought I could destroy it after you said that." "That was me practicing. That wasn't me saying it for real." Olivia snickers to herself. "How about I say "don't destroy my town." and then I wink so you know?" "That's fine" I clear my throat and give my best reading of DON'T DESTROY MY TOWN. I then give Olivia a very animated wink. She proceeds to kick and smash my castle. I cheer and applaud as wet sand gets hurled across the beach. Olivia stops abruptly. "That was fun." "What are you doing? There is one more." I say while pointing to the remaining tower. With that, Olivia strikes down the remaining tower with full force. My castle is now just a mound of sand once more. I stare at the remains and hang my head. "Whats wrong?" Olivia asks gingerly. "It's just over so quickly, and then it's nothing." "We can build another one." She suggests. "No." "I think we should get off the island." She says to me as she pulls me close and we look on at our destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment